Your Voting Rights
Myths, Untruths and Outright Lies
These are some of the untruths being spread that may keep voters from going to the polls tomorrow. Please do not believe any of them:
- If you have an unpaid parking ticket, you cannot vote, or you will be arrested at the polls it you attempt to vote.
- If your house is in foreclosure, you cannot vote
- If you do not have a valid driver’s license you cannot vote. Bring your voter ID card, a bank statement, or a utility bill with your name and address printed on the bill, and they have to take this as a form of identification.
- If you are an out-of-state student, you absolutely CAN vote where you go to school, even if your parents claimed you on their income tax.
- Some states do prevent you from voting if you are wearing campaign t-shirts, pins, hats, etc, Virginia included, so be prepared. Just bring a garbage bag. Don’t make a scene. Just cover up. Don’t let them take away your right to vote.
- You cannot vote over the telephone, and do not let anyone tell you that you can. That vote will not count.
- If the name on your driver’s license and your voter registration don’t match exactly, don’t let them tell you that you cannot vote. Ask to vote provisionally and then straighten out the mix-up the following day. Usually it is a difference in the middle name, as in one being spelled out and the other being an initial. Don’t let them turn you away if you know that you are legally registered to vote.
- And remember, if you are in line by 7 p.m., you will be able to vote. The polls will not close as long as you are in line.
Never Thought I’d Want to See A Campaign Ad On the Air Sooner
This ad ran this past weekend on MSNBC and CNN, and it was sponsored by Progressive Future. I have to say that I think that it ranks right up there as one of the best political ads that I’ve seen in a long, long time. I’m going to include the verbiage that Progressive Future included on their site because I think that its a good message.
The title, “American Tune*” is the name of the Paul Simon song in case you’re banging your head against the wall trying to figure it out (like I was):
RealtyTrac® reports that from October 2008, home foreclosures have increased 21 percent from September 2007; one in every 475 U.S. housing units received a foreclosure filing in September 2008. The Bureau of Labor Statistics unemployment numbers stayed at over six percent, or nearly 10 million, unemployed in September. The National Coalition on Health Care reports 47 million Americans are without health care insurance.
We need a new direction.
That’s why we’re supporting Barack Obama for President, and that’s why we’re running this ad on CNN and MSNBC this weekend.
Watch the video on right and use the form to share it with your friends.
Progressive Future is responsible for the content of this advertising. Paid for by Progressive Future at http://www.progressivefuture.org. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.
Wasn’t that inspiring???
Polls Open At 6 A.M.
Now Get Out There And Vote!!!
*Lyrics to “American Tune” (words and music by Paul Simon)
Many’s the time I’ve been mistaken
And many times confused
Yes, and I’ve often felt forsaken
And certainly misused
Oh, but I’m all right, I’m all right
I’m just weary to my bones
Still, you don’t expect to be
Bright and bon vivant
So far away from home, so far away from home
And I don’t know a soul who’s not been battered
I don’t have a friend who feels at ease
I don’t know a dream that’s not been shattered
or driven to its knees
but it’s all right, it’s all right
for we lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the
road we’re traveling on
I wonder what’s gone wrong
I can’t help it, I wonder what’s gone wrong
And I dreamed I was dying
I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
And I dreamed I was flying
And high up above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying
We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age’s most uncertain hours
and sing an American tune
Oh, and it’s alright, it’s all right, it’s all right
You can’t be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow’s going to be another working day
And I’m trying to get some rest
That’s all I’m trying to get some rest
One thought on “One Day to Go and Some Important Information You Should Know”
FACTS, JUST FACTS, ONLY FACTS
THAT SHOULD SCARE EVERYONE