All right, I have picked up the gauntlet that One Ping Only has thrown down. It’s called “Grace in Small Things.” Here is her description taken directly from her site:
Grace in Small Things is a daily reminder to take notice of the positive things we tend to overlook. Schmutzie stated that she started the site with the following intention: “Every day for 365 days, I will post a list of five things that have graced my life, either on that day or at any time in my life.” You can read more about the how and why here.
By the way, One Ping Only is a really great site. You can get to it from my blog roll on the left, or you can click on it here: http://onepingonly.blogspot.com/.
So, I thought that in addition to my regular entry, I would also have a small GIST entry every day, if I can manage it. It will be short and sweet, and just contain my five things for which I am thankful that day. I invite my regular readers to join the GIST challenge with me. Let’s see if we can do it for 2009. Let’s see how often our lists overlap. I think that it might actually be fun, and you know that I don’t use that word often. We’ll pretend that we’ve already done 23 of these and give ourselves credit in the bank (or 24 for my cohorts on the other side of the world).
And here we go:
1. My extra large computer monitor which makes working on the computer so much easier for me in so many ways.
2. The sound of my dog Shakes snoring while he is sleeping on the bed. This lets me know that he is completely content, which is very reassuring for me. All is right in my little world.
3. The vase of yellow roses that Corey gave me for my birthday. I have always loved yellow roses the best. They could be red, or pink or white, but yellow is the color for me, and he remembered, and he presented me with a beautiful card that reflects the way that he feels. I am so thankful for both things because I know that he put a lot of thought into buying them for me.
4. The vase with the Stargazer lily that Alexis picked out for me for my birthday. She tries to buy different flowers for me, and she knows that I like lilies. The card from her and her brothers is one of those cards that makes sound, and it’s the scene from Forrest Gump in which he and Bubba are talking about shrimp and all of the ways you can fix shrimp: “there’s shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, gumbo, panfry, deep fry, stir fry, pepper shrimp, pineapple shrimp, coconut shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, that’s about it.”
5. My bear William is only about 4 inches tall. He used to ride with me in the Trooper, but I took him out so that he would not be exposed to things that he should not see since my son Eamonn is driving the Trooper now. William sits directly to the left of the screen at eye level, and he is wearing a red plaid scarf. He is a reminder of better days, and I hope of better days to come, when I might have my own car again. He is one of those bears with a very sweet face.
That’s it for today’s list of Grace in Small Things. There will be more tomorrow. Peace.