These are the things . . .
I realized that even though I’ve done a few memes on here, I haven’t ever really talked about myself completely, honestly. So I thought that I would compose a random list, just to see where it takes me. So here we go:
- I like broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. About the only vegetable I really hate is okra, and that’s because it’s slimey and hairy.
- I’ve never eaten escargot. No matter how much garlic you put on it, it’s still a snail.
- I love shrimp, but I will not eat lobster. If someone around me orders lobster, I make clawing motions with my hands and say “help me” in a high-pitched voice so as to shame them for eating something that could live for years and years in the ocean.
- I also will not eat lamb or veal. Do you know how they make veal? If you did, then you couldn’t possibly eat it.
- I love chocolate. I have tried to give up chocolate many times as it is not good for my headaches, and it is full of calories, but it keeps coming back and jumping into my mouth when I’m not looking.
- The last time I was timed, I typed 126 words a minute. That was a long time ago, and I type much faster now.
- I have gone kayaking, and actually really enjoyed it. If I had the opportunity, I would own my own kayak and use it on the Chesapeake Bay.
- I like to go hiking in the foothills of Virginia, but I haven’t done it since I hurt my back. My ex and I once went hiking/camping with some friends of ours. The girl wore penny loafers to go hiking. That was her idea of old shoes. I ended up carrying the guy’s pack on the hike back. Not outdoor people.
- I love my dogs and treat them like children. Dogs are meant to be loved and talked to. People who abuse dogs should be put in jail as far as I’m concerned. A man who will beat a dog will beat a child or a woman. Don’t ever believe any differently.
- I enjoy the smell of fresh cut lilacs, rosemary, gardenias, and lavender.
- Butterflies are small miracles.
- My three children, who are no longer small, are still my pride and joy, even when they screw up. After all, who doesn’t screw up once in a while?
- I would love to have more children, even though I am considered past my childbearing years. But what does that mean, anyway? I really don’t care.
- If I could live anywhere in the world, I would live somewhere where I could see water and mountains at the same time.
- I believe in nationalized medicine and a flat tax rate.
- I am a liberal liberal. I don’t mind paying more taxes if it means that there will be better schools and better healthcare. My only protest against paying more taxes is that I want the rich to pay their fair share, too, and to stop having so many loopholes so that they end up paying less than those of us in the middle of the road.
- I miss my father every day of every week of every year. I see him in my dreams often. I believe that he is looking out for me as best he can.
- When I was at the beach once, I asked god for a sign that things were going to be all right, and then the waves pulled back, and a perfect shell was there at my feet.
- I believe in angels.
- I wish that I remembered more from my publishing class on computer systems, but it was such a painful experience the first time that I think that I have blocked everything that I managed to learn.
- I love Beowulf (not the movie, the written version)
- I wish that I looked like Angelina Jolie, but I wish more that I had her ability to go to poor countries and do something for the people who live there.
- I collect stuffed bears, and I buy the ones who look like they need a home.
- I have a calendar fetish. I always have at least three calendars of my own: one next to my desk, one in my purse, and one in the kitchen. If I had more places to put them, I would have more.
- I am a speed reader, but I don’t scan in order to read more quickly. For example, I read each of the Harry Potter Books, even the longest one, in just one day.
- I have read The Lord of the Rings more times than I can remember.
- The English Patient is one of the most beautiful books ever written, and the movie is still one of my favorites.
- I get silly drunk about two times a year, but otherwise, I drink very seldom.
- I don’t do illegal drugs, and the worst thing I ever did when I was a teenager was speed, and I hated the way that it made me feel.
- I love to learn. I have one bachelor’s degree, and two master’s degrees. I would go for another degree in a heartbeat.
- I miss being in the front of the classroom but not enough to teach in the Norfolk Public School system.
- I’ve never been in a girl fight. How utterly stupid.
- I am very sentimental. I can cry at a Hallmark commercial, a Lifetime movie, or a YouTube clip. Sarah McLachlan’s commercials about animals in shelters just kills me.
- I am fiercely loyal and protective.
- I am an Aquarius.
- Eamonn and Caitlin’s birthdays are within ten days of each other in March (Pisces); Alexis and Brett’s birthdays are within three days of each other in July (Cancer).
- It’s far easier to give birth in March than in July.
- I’m not afraid of needles, as in having blood drawn, but I hate it when I get someone who is not good at putting in an IV. That hurts.
- I talk back to the computer and other inanimate objects. I also carry on conversations with other drivers, but they don’t know it.
- I love coffee and hot tea. I drink cream in most types of hot tea except for Earl Gray and Oolong.
- My favorite dessert is Tiramisu, followed closely by real New York cheesecake.
- I used to be a shopaholic but have since reformed, for a variety of reasons.
- I believe that psychopharmaceuticals were developed for a reason and that no one should be ashamed of having to take them.
- I hate it when people jump to conclusions.
- I have a terrible habit of correcting other people’s English.
- My husband is younger than I am, and when we first got together, no one thought that it would last. We’ve been together for nine years, and it is the best relationship of my life.
- My mother is without a doubt the one person in this world who can get to me more than anyone else. She knows exactly what buttons to push.
- I wish that Alexis believed in herself more, but at this point, I have to let her be who she is and try not to interfere.
- My last beta, Mulder, decided that he didn’t like me and wouldn’t look at me any more. I took it very personally. He doesn’t live here any more.
- I am hooked on crime shows: CSI, Without a Trace, Law & Order. I do not like sitcoms.
- Heidi Klum is über gorgeous, especially when she is pregnant.
- American society is fixated on how people look and doesn’t pay nearly enough attention to educating its children.
- Someday, I want to go to Australia, Ireland, and Greece.
- I love to take pictures but don’t like to have my picture taken.
- Cruises cease to be fun when you run out of money.
- My big goal in life is to be debt-free and to have good credit again.
- All of my children inherited my propensity for depression as I inherited it from my father. Sometimes genetics really sucks.
- I wish that Mari lived nearby so that we could spend time together again.
- I need to get off my ass and put together my book, but I am too scared of the whole rejection process.
- I managed a newsroom when I was 19-years-old.
- One day, I will figure out what I want to be when I grow up.
- Ending sentences in a preposition really bothers me.
- I love to use quotations by other people in my own work. It helps me to focus.
- I love sunsets and sunrises. I cannot think of anything more beautiful than a painted sky.
- I miss getting dressed, putting on make-up and going to work everyday. I love make-up.
- I hate dreaming that I am at work.
- I believe that men and women can be friends, but sooner or later, sex tries to get in the way.
- I love music: classical, pop, classic rock, country, new age (whatever the hell that means), opera, blues, even some hard rock.
- My birthstone is garnet, which I love, but I also love pearls, aquamarines, and diamonds.
- One day, I am going to have a big diamond ring, just because.
- I used to love to wear hats, but now I just look silly.
- I have long wavy hair, and I would like a new hairstyle, but I look like a monkey when I have short hair.
- I usually eat one big meal a day (dinner), and maybe a snack, but I cannot lose weight. I hate that.
- I can be very impatient, which can lead to my being snarky, especially when I’m driving.
- I find that I always end up telling Corey where to park, even though he doesn’t need my help. I wonder why I do that?
- I speed on the interstate, but I obey the speed limit in the city.
- I desperately need a new old car that is just mine because Eamonn ruined Izzie the Trooper, and it smells like cigarettes.
- I love ankle bracelets and earrings, and I love watches, but am down to about four now that still work.
- I smoked during college exams, but I hate cigarettes, and cigarette smoke.
- I don’t look my age, but that is because of good genes and Oil of Olay Regenerist, and I don’t ever tell people how old I really am.
- Writing my blog posts is my daily therapy.
- Both Shakes and Tillie snore, but Tillie snores louder. I snore louder than anyone in the house.
- I hate my body. I feel like a sausage most of the time.
- I really love shoes and boots, especially boots.
- I wear Christmas socks all year long.
- We are not friendly with most of our neighbors. I wonder why.
- I have never really wanted to own a horse, but I have considered living on an old farm.
- I am a hoarder when it comes to books and sentimental things like old cards and letters.
- I used to own a yard tractor and would mow the yard in my bathing suit. Of course, that was when I was in good shape. My nasty neighbor to my left thought that it was scandolous.
- I hold a grudge, expecially if I feel that I have been wronged unfairly.
- I think about revenge, but have never actually taken it.
- Bad manners offend me, and my sons know this and use it to drive me crazy.
- I wash my hands a lot, but I don’t think that I am OCD about it.
- One day, my bedroom will finally be painted, and I will be able to put in my new furniture.
- I like antiques even though my mother calls them “tired, old things” and believes that people should move on.
- I have a hard time moving on, and don’t adjust to change very well.
- I like the first three Star Wars movies (chronologically) a lot better than the last three (numerically).
- Corey brings me a cup of hot mint tea every night before bed. Isn’t that thoughtful?
- I am a pantheist: I believe that god, some kind of god, exists in all things: people, animals, trees, water, and that if we listen carefully enough, we can become one with all things in nature.
- One day, I will finally go on a poetry retreat.
That’s quite enough for today. Peace.
2 thoughts on “One Hundred Things”
Fantastic list Lita,
I am completely flabbergasted about how many things in common we share. Who loves broccoli. cauliflower and brussel sprouts? We do of course. I also agree with you about the beneficial properties of Oil of Olay Regenerist LOL
I hope you do make it to that poetry retreat one day too 🙂
Well we have always known that we are kindred spirits, right? I could’t live without my Regenerist. I love the way that stuff feels on my face: not heavy and gloppy, just light and smooth.
One day in my life I’ll make it to a retreat. Here’s wishing.