Anais Nin (1932)
“Who am I, you ask? I don’t know, my friend. I am all the languages I ever spoke, I am all the places I ever lived, I am all the people I ever met, I am all the women I ever loved, I am all the writers I ever read; I am all my ancestors—but at least they had the decency of never thinking of themselves as writers. Who am I, you ask? I don’t know, my friend; I don’t even know who is writing this page.” ~ Jorge Luis Borges
The migraine finally seems to be receding. I swear that it felt as if my skull were being ripped open from back to front. Too graphic? Perhaps, but the truth, nevertheless. At the moment, it is just a tight band above my eyes, though thankfully, not behind my eyes.
I spent some time today catching up on my blogroll. Spending too long looking at the monitor was just painful, so I hadn’t read any of my regulars in a few days. It’s always nice to read what everyone else is writing, not to mention, I often get inspired by things that I have seen or read on other people’s sites.
“Six mistakes mankind keeps making century after century:
Believing that personal gain is made by crushing others;
Worrying about things that cannot be changed or corrected;
Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it;
Refusing to set aside trivial preferences;
Neglecting development and refinement of the mind;
Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.” ~ Marcus Tullius Cicero
“Still Life,” Baron Adolf de Meyer (1908)
Since it’s Friday, I thought that I might just muse a bit on nothing in particular . . .
- Why is the Palin family in Los Angeles, going to pre-Academy Awards events? Didn’t the Palinator criticize Levi Johnston for being “too hollywood”? Oh, that’s right. what Palin says about other people does not apply to her or her family. I keep forgetting. Sorry.
- Unbelievably, an Israeli Defense Forces soldier posted the details on a planned incursion into the West Bank on his Facebook page. He also posted his phone number. Let me get this straight: there are idiots running amok who don’t have sense enough not to leak military plans on a social network, but our own Congress is still debating over Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell? Hello? I think that instead of DA/DT, there should be stupid-ometers, but then, what do I know . . .
- Former W. advisor Karl Rove declared that he “wasn’t George Bush’s brain.” Well I’m glad that’s been cleared up for posterity. Now all we need to do is figure out who was W.’s brain.
- Word is that the Smurf cartoon characters are going to be turned into a movie. Smurfs? Really? Why? Was anyone else bothered by the fact that only one female Smurf lived with an entire village of male Smurfs?
- Along those same lines, Gilligan’s Island is heading for the big screen. This version will be modernized. Wow. I wonder if they’ll have 3G service on the island. Will the professor’s bicycle-powered generator make an appearance? Will they ever explain how Mary Ann made coconut cream pies without an oven? Just wondering.
- Why oh why are members of the “Jersey Shore” continuing to garner appearances? I mean, I know that Leno is trying to pump up his “Tonight Show” return, but Snooki? Please. And pitting these poster children for overblown excess (redundant, I know) in a battle of the brains spoof is just painful. Mexico a state? Seriously? Catcher in the . . . closet? Stoopit, just plain stoopit.
Let’s just leave it at that. Shall we?
More later. Peace.
Missy Higgins, “Where I Stood”