“When you can do the common things of life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world.” ~ George Washington Carver
I did not know this . . .
(found on my tumblr dash and added a few more)
George Washington Carver (1864(?)-1943):
- Laid out the reason for organic farming 37 years before the man credited with articulating it did so. Organic farming, if practiced universally now, could slow or stop climate change by locking carbon in the soil, keeping it out of the atmosphere.
- Envisioned the end of the petroleum industry and anticipated a movement towards replacing all petroleum products (hydrocarbons) with products from plants (carbohydrates).
- Promoted an overhaul of standard educational curricula to teaching everyone to know the life around them and how to interact with it for benefit both to us and to all life.
- Envisioned the Spirit speaking through all of nature which, absorbed by enough people, can reconcile all the conflict between religion and science which he considered totally unnecessary.
- Saw war as entirely about resources, and scorned it as lack of vision in fixing the world by constantly improving soil so everyone is fed and happy.
- Was a genuinely spiritually enlightened soul with a true love for all humanity.
- Declined an invitation to work for a salary of more than $100,000 a year (almost a million today) to continue his research on behalf of his countrymen.