“Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticided grain,
For strip-mined mountain’s majesty above the asphalt plain.
America, America, man sheds his waste on thee,
And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea.” ~ George Carlin
I have always been amazed by people who pull into parking lots, open their doors, and dump their ashtrays onto the asphalt. What is this? A gift to the cigarette gods? Are the trash fairies going to come along and clean up this putrid pile of pollution? I do not think so . . .
People, it’s just plain nasty, and cigarette butts are a major pollutant on this planet.
Did you know that “about 360 billion cigarette butts are consumed in the U.S. every year1 and these end up in streets, sidewalks, neighborhoods, college campuses, waterways, lakes, oceans . . . everywhere.” (Toxic Butts)
Reblogged from Curious History:
Artist Chris Jordan assembled a digital image called ‘Toxic Forest’ which is exactly how it sounds—it is composed of individual, high-resolution photos of hundreds of cigarette butts that he gathered from various places around Austin and Seattle.
Is your campus an ashtray?
From the Cigarette Butt Pollution Project:
For more on the project, click here.
Download a fact sheet about butt pollution here . It’s no joke.
- Tossing a cigarette butt in Illinois is a crime (wqad.com)
- Law Will Crackdown on Cigarette Butt Littering (wifr.com)
- What is Cairns Regional Council doing about BUTT LITTER – – – -Melbourne Council is Council’s Environment Local Law requires that all businesses: store waste material, including cigarettes, in an approved container maintain the cleanliness of the area aro (rajcairnsreport.wordpress.com)
- Study documents cigarette environmental hazards (universityofcalifornia.edu)
- Smoke Butts – An Issue Pollutant (esthermeyerlove553dtippery8145.wordpress.com)