Technological advancements worth more than their weight in gold
As far as I can tell, this product ↑ is not yet available. I have only been able to find a few proposals to create this product. If you have more information about this nail polish, please let me know.
However, in researching this particular product, I found one article about some Israeli scientists who have come up with a sensor that detects two of the date rape drugs, but is unable to detect rohypnol. In 2009 a UK company launched a line of lip glosses that came with a date rape drug detector kit. In 2013, Michael Ambramson launched DrinkSavvy, Inc., which has developed cups, straws, and stirrers that can detect the presence of these predator drugs. Some products are already being market tested. Amazon sells date rape detection kits and coasters.
Here are just a few common key facts:
- Drug facilitated sexual assault occurs when drugs or alcohol are used to compromise an individual’s ability to consent to sexual activity. In addition, drugs and alcohol are often used in order to minimize the resistance and memory of the victim of a sexual assault.
- The Drug-Induced Rape Prevention and Punishment Act of 1996 made it a crime to give any nonconsenting individual a controlled substance with the intent of committing a violent act, including rape, against the individual.
- Alcohol is the #1 date rape drug. (That’s just plain alcohol with no added drugs)
For an informative article on date rape drugs, go here.
Here are some important tips to help keep yourself safe:
- Never let someone pour you a drink or watch your drink for you. If you have to go to the bathroom or leave the room, take your drink with you or get a new one when you return. It’s worth spending a few extra bucks on a new drink to avoid the risk of being drugged. No, it’s not being paranoid—it’s practicing good self-care and being responsible.
- Keep your drink from getting confused with other people’s cups by marking your drink with a pen or nail polish. Or use the eyeliner or lipstick you have in your purse, just make sure it wont smudge or wipe off.
- Try the new line of cups and straws which can detect a drug like GHB in your drink. DrinkSavvy products will be available in September 2013 and this innovative new company will offer consumers the ability to immediately tell if their drink has been drugged before they drink it and put themselves at risk. The line of cups, straws, stirrers and glasses will turn colors or change patterns if the drink has been drugged, so even if you are a little buzzed, you will be able to clearly see that your drink has been tampered with. If you are throwing a party, it would also be great to have it for all of your guests…that way you know everyone will be safe, and you will also inspire other people to take a more proactive approach when it comes to their own safety.
- Don’t be afraid of being mean. Girls are often socialized to be nice and polite, so it’s hard for them to speak up and refuse a drink at a party. But here’s the thing: Your life and your body are more important than anyone’s feelings, so if a guy is offended when you won’t accept his drink, he isn’t worth your time. And, it doesn’t matter how cute or popular he is. Rapists don’t always look like a scary stranger lurking in the shadows…they can be charming and handsome and witty, so just because he seems “normal” doesn’t mean that you should trust him or his drink.
- Know the symptoms of being drugged. You might feel fuzzy, disoriented, or confused, even if you have only had a small amount to drink. You might space out or lose track of time or lose chunks of memory. Many people are nauseous and light-headed. Since some of the symptoms of being drugged can mimic symptoms of drunkenness, it’s important to pace yourself and drink plenty of water while you are out. This is especially true if you are alone at a party or with people you don’t know—don’t overindulge in a company of strangers because you can’t trust those people to take care of you or to notice if you are in trouble. The reality is that this is a scary world and there are people out there who will take advantage of a young, drunk or drugged woman (or man).