Call for Submissions: Terrain.org 5th Annual Contest
The contest submission period is today through September 1, 2014. Winners will be announced the first week of October 2014.
A prize of $250 plus publication for the first-place winner will be awarded in each genre. Runners up in each genre may also receive publication.
All submissions are considered for publication. Terrain.org’s editors will read all entries, passing the top entries in each genre to the judges, who will choose the first-place winners. Decisions of the judges are final. Judges and editors do not know the identity of the contestants.
- Fiction, judged by Nance Van Winckel
Nance Van Winckel teaches in Vermont College’s MFA program and is the author of four collections of linked stories, a forthcoming novel, and six books of poetry.
- Nonfiction, judged by Julian Hoffman
Julian Hoffman is a writer, photographer, and naturalist living in northern Greece; his book, The Small Heart of Things: Being at Home in a Beckoning World, was chosen by Terry Tempest Williams as the winner of the 2012 AWP Award Series for Nonfiction.
- Poetry, judged by Derek Sheffield
Derek Sheffield is the author of Through the Second Skin (Orchises Press, 2013). His poetry has been published and anthologized widely, and he is a professor of English at Wenatchee Valley College.
All contestants will be notified of the judges’ decisions the first week of October 2014.
How to Submit
You are not eligible to enter this contest if you are a former student of the contest judges.
Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but previously published material in any format, including blogs, will not be considered. Submissions can be withdrawn through the submission system, though in that case contest entry fees will not be refunded.
The cost to submit is $10 per story, essay or article, or set of 3-5 poems.
What to Submit
You may submit up to three entries (at $10/entry) in any or all genres:
Submit 3-5 poems, or one long poem (5+ pages), per entry. Combine all poems into a single document. For poetry, we are seeking not just the best poem, but the best set of 3-5 poems or the best long poem, with the hopes of awarding our prizes to poetry sets rather than individual, shorter poems, when possible. No maximum lines per poem. Poems must contain only the poem title(s) and poem(s) without the author name or contact information.
Submit one story, up to 6,000 words total, per entry. Stories must contain only the story title and story itself without the author name or contact information.
Submit one essay or article, up to 6,000 words total, per entry. Essays must contain only the essay title and essay itself without the author name or contact information. We will consider all nonfiction, but are most interested in creative nonfiction, including personal essays, lyric essays, memoir, and other literary forms.
Cover Letter Required
Each submission must include a cover letter with the author’s name and contact information — including email, telephone, and mailing address — and the name(s) of the poems, story, and/or essay.
The Submission Process
- The submission period runs today through September 1, 2014.
- Please save your cover letter and submission for each entry as a single document — .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt, or only. Do not submit in .pdf format.
- Submit online at http://sub.terrain.org. If you have submitted to Terrain.org before, log in to submit. If you have not submitted before, you must register.
- Choose the “Contest” genre category and in the Comments area, type the genre of your submission: Poetry, Fiction, or Nonfiction. Double-check that you have selected the “Contest” genre; it is the last option during the regular submission period (and the only genre during the summer).
- Once you confirm your submission, you will be directed to a page with payment instructions (via Paypal). Instructions for mailing a check in lieu of paying online are also provided.
- No submission will be considered until payment has been received.
- You will receive submission and payment confirmation via email.